Spring has sprung! Time to honor the underutilized veg, rhubarb.
From Eating Well, link here…
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 16 corn tortillas
- Lime wedges for serving
- Combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder and 1¼ teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle beef with 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total. Place onion slices in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beef. Whisk broth and tomato paste into the remaining spice mixture and pour over the beef.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours. Shred the beef with 2 forks. Stir back into the liquid.
- Meanwhile, toss rhubarb and sugar together in a medium bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapeño to taste, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and stir to combine.
- Serve the beef with tortillas, the rhubarb salsa and lime wedges.
- Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker