Hair and skin aren’t just for looking pretty—they’re required for specific bodily functions, too. Humans lost body fur a while ago (thankfully), but we still have hair on our heads to keep the brain toasty and protected from occasional bumps. Skin isn’t only the barrier between the environment and our insides—it’s the largest organ we have and it’s responsible for keeping the body cool, protecting it against germs and “invaders,” detoxifying, and many other metabolic processes.
Cracked, flaky, irritated, or inflamed skin is normal during winter, though it’s not exactly fun. If red, scaly, itchy skin lingers or is causing serious discomfort, be sure to visit a doctor; it might be a more serious dermatological condition like dermatitis, eczema, or athlete’s foot.
Barring more serious issues, there are a few strategies that can give the body a break when the mercury plunges:
- A 20-minute long, boiling-hot shower might feel great on a cold day, but stick to warm or lukewarm water for 10 minutes or less. Long exposure to hot water can strip moisture from hair and skin.
- When heading into the great outdoors, dress for the weather with a hat, scarf, and gloves to avoid windburn and prolonged exposure to cold air.
- At the grocery store, fill up a cart with foods full of healthy monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish, nuts, olive oil, flax, sardines, and avocados.
- While at the market, load up on vitamin C-rich produce like citrus fruit and dark leafy greens. Vitamin C can help boost the body’s production of collagen, a protein that maintains skin and other connective tissues.
- It’s a good idea to drink plenty of water during winter, but there is actually no scientific proof that guzzling water can rehydrate scaly skin .
Adapted from Greatist. See the full article here…
Do you love the skin you’re living in? Want to give it a little extra love? Regeneplex from Standard Process has the things skin (all epithelial cells in fact, including the lining of our digestive tract). Regeneplex is a clinically studied systemic skin health product that works from the inside out. By combining key ingredients from whole foods with complementary ingredients, this formula synergistically supports the body’s natural tissue-healing processes associated with the normal effects of aging.
- Targets all three layers of skin, the circulatory and digestive systems, and cellular structure and functions
- Provides a supportive nutritional foundation for healthy skin
- Supports skin elasticity, luminance, and appearance while helping address fine lines around the eyes
- Provides support for cellular rejuvenation from carotenoids, buckwheat, zinc, B vitamins, vitamin C, and tuna oil
Please ask if you have any questions or if Regeneplex would be a good choice for you.